Thursday, May 7, 2009

from snot to puberty

For a year now I've worked with the Primary kids at church (that would be the 18 months to 11-years-old). Don't get me wrong I love kids and I know that each one of those precious kids are a child of God, but it was not an easy calling.

I've discovered something about myself. I grew up loving kids. I was the baby holder at church, but something has changed. Now that I have my own kids I've noticed that I'm not so big on other peoples kids. I like them, but it's not the same. There's nothing like holding a crying kid who wants their mommy and it not be your kid. Then to have that kid lift it's head from your shoulder and have snot string from your shoulder all the way up to their little nose. NASTY! I'm sorry, but I'm not a big fan of my kids snot. Another kids snot is just awful.

Then you go into nursery (that's where all the 18 month to 3-years-old play) and you notice that every kid, every last one including your own has their finger buried in the nose. What are they expecting to find up there?!

Then there's all the coughing and sneezing...ugh!

So after a year of loving these sweet, snotty gems I got a new calling. Now I get to work with the 12 to 18-years-old. Ah, the puberty stricken teenie boppers.

Wish me luck!

4 comments:

InkMom said...

Confession time: the only baby I've held since MayDay was born (he'll be 3 in October) is Liam, Jared & Mel's newest. And I only held him for like five minutes, one time, and then gave him right back. And was glad to do it. I'm awful!

WoozleMom said...

Have fun! Good luck...

Mardi said...

GOOD LUCK! (and my kid is one of those with his finger in his nose.)

apesjam said...

Hey I didn't turn out too badly :) That's the only "teaching" calling I want to have- is in the YW's. Have fun!!