Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The habit to judge

I would say that just about everyone at some point has been guilty of judging wrongfully. I was raised that we shouldn't judge, but society preaches something completely different. I had a quick little moment of this a few weeks ago.

I was visiting a ward that I lived in for a short time back in 2007. At that time I was called to teach in the Young Women's program (girls ages 12-18). One of the girls suffered from, well to be honest I'm not sure. My guess would be autism. The first time I met her was on a Wednesday church night for the youth. The bishops wife was walking laps around the building with her and they were discussing Anamaniacs. This girl is super sweet, but is lacking in social skills and some other functions. It is easy, without the right amount of patience, for this kind girl to get on your nerves. During my visit back a few weeks ago the ward was having all the youth who attended early morning seminary share their testimonies about their experience. When this girl got up she shared a beautiful testimony and then said she was going to sing. I'm embarrassed to admit that my first thought was negative. (I've repented so stop judging me) The piano began and she opened her mouth. Angelic is the only word I can think of to discribe what I heard. Her words floated to my ears and pierced my heart. It was simple, simply beautiful.

How grateful I am for that experience. Another reminder that I am not perfect and I should never judge. I was humbled and then lifted.

She sang:
No Ordinary Man
Jesus was no ordinary man, but there
were some who did not understand.
They saw him working miracles, but
some were still deceived.
Why did they not believe?

When with few loaves and fishes the
multitudes were fed;
When He showed them His pow'r to heal,
and even raised the dead;
When He walked upon the water and He
calmed the raging sea,
Why did they not believe?

Jesus was no ordinary man, but there
were some who did not understand.
They saw him working miracles, but
some were still deceived.
Why did they not believe?

When His faith filled the fishnets; gave
sight unto the blind;
When they saw at His bidding even
water turned to wine;
When He offered all He had to them if
they would but receive,
Why did they not believe?

Jesus was no ordinary man. The pow'r to
bless and heal was in His hands.
They saw Him cleanse the leper, they saw
Him heal the lame;
They must have sensed divinity and
known from whence He came,
But understanding not His cause, they
crucified the Son of God,
And even then they did not understand
That Jesus was no ordinary man.

2 comments:

WoozleMom said...

She calls me up on the phone every once in a while, just to say hi and tell me all the news from back home. The last time I talked to her was just a couple of days after this happened. I wish I could have been there to hear it, but I've heard her sing several times over the years and I think I have a bit of an idea what it was like. Anyways, she said that she sang and that everybody was crying, that there wasn't a dry eye anywhere (I'm quoting). Pretty sweet.
Anyways, like I say she likes to tell me the news from home (I'm guilty of occasionally not answering when I'm in the middle of something, because I know she likes to chat for a long time! I never regret answering, even when I'm busy, though, so I'm trying to be better about that). The same day that we talked about the song, the first thing she said to me was this: "Kathryn! Did you know that you're going to have a new member of your family soon???" It took me a minute to figure out that she was talking about my baby that I have been carrying around for the last 28 weeks...HILARIOUS. I'm all, "Yes, I'm quite aware of that...." I'm laughing again just thinking about it.
Sorry for highjacking your blog. :)

Jami said...

Cool story!