Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The loss of a child

I'm not sure there is anything in this life that compares to the loss of a child. No matter the age, whether born or unborn the pain is deep. But the lessons learned are sweeter than words can describe. We lost our baby 20 months ago. 14 weeks I got to carry that child and I wouldn't give those weeks up for all the joy in the world. I have a testimony that I will see that child again.

My mother, sister-in-law, a dear friend and myself are doing a book club together. This months book is by Pamela H. Hansen, an amazing woman. We are reading her book titled Finding the Angel Within. In her book she shares her many trials including the loss of a twin. She was pregnant with twin girls and she found out that one of the twins Emily, had a fatal heart defect and wouldn't live long after birth. She gave birth to Emily and her sister Amy and soon after birth Emily passed on. Her mother wrote a poem about Emily that Pamela shares in her book. I read this poem and was touched deeply. I had to share. So to all those who have lost, or have known someone who has lost:

Our Emily
By Carolee L. Harmon

This day-old child who just arrived
with tiny mouth and hands
Will soon be going home again
obeying divine commands.
But wait...we have so many plans for her
it really seems unfair.
Bedtime stories and nursery rhymes
and secrets sweet to share.
Valentines and cookies to make,
cousins for her to know.
We want to buy her dolls and books
and watch her talents grow.
She needs to feel the seasons change,
giggle with friends among.
Blow candles out on frosted cakes
when "Happy Birthday" is sung!
We want to teach her things of Thee
with loving, kind concern
And sing our favorite Primary songs
So much for her to learn!
But wiser, she, than all of us
wrinkles her little nose
As if to say: "He needs me more
than you do, I suppose...
So I'll go back to Heavenly Father,
my mission here is done
But He'll let Amy fill your hearts
with twice the joy and fun.
I came to gain a body,
claim these parents for my own
We're now a family unit
so I'll never be alone.
Such happiness! To know I'm loved
and fulfilled my part with birth.
You have to live with much more faith
to stay here on the earth.
This day I spent with you's enough...
My dad gave me a blessing
The hardest part is leaving
Mommy's arms, I am confessing..."
Then she was gone. But this thought dwells:
What she brought, none can sever
And if we do our part - we'll be
A family forever!

1 comment:

Sally said...

Whew, that brought the tears. That was really sweet--thanks for sharing that.