Thursday, April 23, 2009

Meeting new people

My mom can talk to anyone. She can tell you her life story in the grocery line. It's a talent she has. It's also something that I disliked growing up. I guess I always sort of got embarrassed. Now that I'm grown I appreciate the fact that it's a talent and not just a means to embarrass me.

Although I look like my mom and I talk like her and move like her I didn't get the talk-to-anybody-about-anything talent. So imagine my surprise today when the following happened at the park:

I got to the park today with my two kids and a little 16 month old girl that I keep (more about that to come). Soon after my arrival a dad with his two kids showed up. Sasperilly quickly took to talking to this stranger (wonder where he gets it?) Strangers make me nervous. I have a bit of a pedophilia phobia, so I edged over to manage things. Soon I found myself talking to the stranger. He was super nice. The next thing I know I'm spilling all sorts of personal life experiences with him! I couldn't believe it. We talked all about life and health (he's in the fitness industry). I ended up with his business card and plans to catch him again sometime at the park. What?! Did I just do that?

I have to admit that getting his business card with all his personal information on it did make me feel better. Oh and the fact that he really wants me to met his wife that helped too.

It turns out he is big into fitness, especially kids fitness. He works at a YMCA and has started his own company All Kids Fit.

Here's to cracking the shell and poking my head out. Although I think I stuck more than my head out...

2 comments:

InkMom said...

My mom used to talk to the person in the car next to us stepped at a traffic light if all the windows were down. You know, things like, "You have really beautiful hair! Who cuts it?" or other equally embarrassing things. And No, I didn't inherit it either. Usually, I'm thankful!

gingerpiatt said...

It is a gift and I am glad you are developing yours!!!