Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Potty time

I would say that most moms can relate to the 'no privacy' concept when it comes to kids. If your house is anything like our house you get an attentive audience for all sorts of special moments. Whether it's taking a shower, changing clothes or going to the bathroom my kids feel like they must, at least at some point be there for the um action?

For some reason no one felt it necessary to let me know that when I became a mother I would have to kiss my dignity goodbye.

Ever had this moment? You are using the bathroom and one or more children suddenly need to sit in your lap more than anything else?! Nothing like sitting on the toilet doing what you do on the toilet and having a kid on your lap. Oh yes, I've tried the shut-and-lock the door technique, but that just ends in banging, screaming and crying; "Mom, MOM let me in!"

So if my dignity left when my kids felt it their duty to supervise my going to the bathroom time, what do I say left when another persons child joins my own children in this tradition?!

Yep, that's right not only do my children want to be there and watch, but so does the little girl I watch. And you guessed it she feels like it's the perfect time to sit in my lap? What would her mother say if she knew? Too bad I'll never tell her.

My brother posted what he learned about using a public toilet in this post. So to that I add what I've learned about using any toilet when you have kids.

1. There is no such thing as privacy
2. Kids have no concept of "Yuck, don't touch that!"
3. Even if you lock the door, there is no such thing as peace and quiet when using the bathroom.
4. Using the bathroom in front of your children will open the door to all sorts of questions. Usually questions you aren't ready to explain yet to persons under the age of 13!
5. A child's curiosity will lead them to ask things like "Can I see?!"
6. Kids don't care what you are doing, if they want to sit in your lap they will sit in your lap.
7. You will find yourself repeating "Yes, Mommy is a girl. No, Daddy is a boy. That's right Daddy has a penis. No, Mommy doesn't have a penis."
8. Amazingly it never gets old for kids.

What would you add to the list?!

3 comments:

WoozleMom said...

This is one thing I am definitely NOT looking forward to.

Amy said...

For me, I'd rather hear the screams. Bathroom time is MINE. Plus, you don't hear the screams as much when the shower is running. The kids learn to give up once the door is locked. This is my small part of sanity I treasure up for myself.

Sally said...

Hm, I second what Kathryn said, and...I think I'm leaning toward Amy's take. Oi.