Friday, April 24, 2009

Why have kids?

It never ceases to amaze me the people who have kids for show. Like they are some sort of accessory or status symbol. They have kids and then let others raise them, makes no sense to me.

So I keep a little girl now. She is 16 months old. She is adorable. She use to be watched my her grandma, but grandma's schedule changed and she can't watch her anymore. When the parents of this child sat down to talk about what they should do the mother mentioned that maybe she should just stay home. Then they decided that she couldn't because they need her income. I mean they have two cars, a house, cable tv, cell phones, blah blah blah. So if I'm understand correctly they would rather have stuff than kids? So why did they have kids in the first place?

Now, this has nothing to do with those who actually have to work. And no, having a ton of stuff to pay for does not fall into that category. I'm talking about those people who by no fault of their own are finding themselves working to put food on the table.

I just don't understand. Why would having a nice car or a big house be more important than raising your own kids? David O. McKay once said, "No success can compensate for failure in the home." And they are leaving that success up to someone else.

How about you step off the materialistic train and see what treasure you really have?!

3 comments:

Sally said...

I have to agree. A while back, I overheard some business-looking men on the train on the way home from work, and the one was telling the other how his wife needed to stop being lazy (essentially) and go back to work, to help pay for stuff. I was SO ticked off, I almost broke in and gave them my shpiel about "you want someone else to raise YOUR kids?? Don't you care about their values, etc??" But I held my peace. Some days I wish I'd just done it.

gingerpiatt said...

I know a child that grew up in a home where this was the case and I know it can make for a very confused childhood and adulthood it is the child that suffers. It is sad to think that there are people that who find more pleasure in things (that they can not take with them) and not in the eternal things (relationships)

Mardi said...

I agreed with ya'll. Somehow people are so confused - they think they HAVE to work, but yet it's only because of the second car, too large of home....like you said - that doesn't qualify as having to work. You said it all perfectly, woman!